Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day Two

Day two has started well. Breakfast was non-eventful. The kids mostly had cereal or toast and I just had 2 pieces of string cheese. I've never been much of a breakfast eater, which isn't a good thing, I know.

I had told the boys yesterday that today for lunch we would have make your own omelets. They were pretty excited for today's lunch. I went grocery shopping this morning to get all the stuff I needed in the house for the week's 'menu'. The idea for lunch was to have everything you might want on an omelet set out and let them fill a plastic cup with their fixin's. You may look at this and think.....eggs, cheese, bacon...that's not healthy. But ya know, for me, it is. It is because it's a hot, high protein meal for growing boys that doesn't involve white bread with white chips or a drive through. Plus, when you have something of substance like this....they aren't bugging me for a snack an hour later. They are satisfied longer...and so am I. Besides...would you believe that a 2 egg omelet with 2 pieces of microwave bacon and 1/4 cup of shredded co-jack cheese (not to mention all the veggies) came to only 260 calories? Now, take out one of the egg yolks, some of the cheese, and all of the bacon and you're left with 167 calories. That was my omelet.....and it was great!
Here's what we had......

Some chopped green pepper

some bacon....

a little spinach....their favorite ingredient

some mushrooms....fresh are best, but canned work just as well

some chopped onion

a little bit of cheese...

and some hungry boys.

Best thing is...Tanner, who rarely even likes to eat scrambled eggs, made one and loved it. He and Tony both wanted more.

Snack was fun. At the store this morning, I found some individual graham cracker crusts for mini pies. Add to that some sugar free instant pudding and a dollop of Cool Whip, topped off with a blackberry just for fun and Viola....a snack the boys thought was very cool!


Dinner was an easy dish for Jay to throw in the oven while I went to work tonight. Hawaiian Chicken...and the boys loved it! Bonus! Cooked up some cauliflower and whole wheat noodles with a little garlic powder and Parmesan cheese on them to go along side. Jay was sweet enough to make a plate for me to have when I got home. My tummy is now satisfied.

1 comment: