Monday, June 14, 2010

Day One

I started my first day with a great breakfast of homeade peanut butter cookies...two. Hmmm....not exactly heading into this on the right foot. But, I made several dozen on Friday and they're just sitting there. They are almost done (thanks to me downing some before bed last night too) and I'm doling them out to the boys so they can be 'outta sight, outta mind'.
Lunch was better. I set up the table in a "make your own sandwhich" sort of style. I had a wrap with turkey, cheese, tomato, pickle, and some avacado. Yum! The boys made their own and we sat and ate.....and we talked. I told them the plan for our new healthy lifestyle. They laughed at the thought......just kidding. They think it sounds fun because of all the neat, new ideas mom found online last night.

Snack time was kinda fun. I took the time to slice some fresh strawberries and put them on crackers with a touch of light cream cheese. For myself, I used a hearty wheat crisp. These were really good and a refreshing summer snack. The boys loved them. We had the idea to try it next time with peanut butter and bananas.


For dinner I tried something from a cookbook that I would have earmarked in an instant cuz it was just thing that the family would like....a taco casserole. Today, however....I read it with the eagle eye of a health conscience mom and lemmetellya, it suddenly wasn't so appealing. But, as the daughter of someone who, long ago, mastered the art of substitutions, I improvised. And, actually, I think I did pretty darn good. The original recipe was 540 calories and 30 grams of fat for 1/6th of a 8 inch pan. I doubled the recipe to fit a 9x13 pan and got the calories to 440 and fat grams to 17....and this was with a serving size 50% larger than the original recipe. Yay!

Here is the finished product....


...and here is the recipe if you're interested. Enjoy!

Day one....check.

No comments:

Post a Comment